(A personal psalm, based on Psalm 16)
Oh, God, I praise you for every blessing you bestow (v. 2).
You are the God of all Goodness, the Author of every benefit. Just recently you granted:
- Timely encouragement from friends,
- A memorable dinner celebrating four anniversaries—ours, along with those of our three children and spouses,
- The announcement of a third grandchild, due to arrive in January.
As A. W. Tozer observed: Out of your goodness, Lord, comes your desire for my highest welfare, your wisdom to plan it, and your power to achieve it. What do I lack (Knowledge of the Holy, p. 70)?
It’s also true that anything good within me comes from you. I hate to think where I’d be today if it weren’t for your influence and direction in my life.
Oh, God, I praise you for your godly people living heroic lives (v. 3).
I take great pleasure in knowing more than several, and gain encouragement from their examples—heroes such as:
- Cheri, who cares for her elderly parents,
- Buck and Nikki, who faithfully minister in nursing homes,
- Bill, who soldiers on with ALS–with a sense of humor, no less—after years of paralysis, and
- Charity, who is battling cancer with great doses of gratitude and praise, in addition to chemo.
These dear ones and more reflect your strength, Lord, your love, joy, peace, and courage. How dare I entertain the slightest bit of self-pity or discouragement?
Oh, God, I praise you for being my grand and glorious inheritance (v. 6).
You possess all power, inhabit all corners of the universe, know all things.
You are all-wise, righteous and holy in all you do—absolutely perfect.
Everything in the universe belongs to you, the Creator of it all.
Yet you care for me. Out of your unlimited resources, you supply everything I need—and then some. Even in the small matters, you are there. You’ve provided:
- A woman to guide me through a hallway-maze in a medical building,
- Two sons who can trouble-shoot my computer problems (!), and
- Continual reminders that your Spirit is at work, even when circumstances seem stagnant.
You are a reliable God who keeps his promises. Always.
And when I leave this earth, you have reserved for me in heaven an eternal inheritance that will never decrease, including the privilege of living with you, basking in your glory.
Such wonders overwhelm the intellect, and my heart overflows with gratitude.
Oh, God, I praise you for your reliability (v. 8).
All the attributes mentioned above (and more) you bring to bear in my life—not as an impersonal monarch overseeing the general welfare of his kingdom—but as a gracious Father, lovingly guiding my individual course.
You will never leave me alone to fend for myself.
And you will also keep me safe until all the chapters of my life have been written (Psalm 139:16).
Oh, God, I praise you with my whole being (vs. 9, 11). You fill:
- My heart with the joy in your presence,
- My mind with the wisdom and truth of your Word, and
- My spirit with the glory of your attributes.
Oh, God, I praise you that these pleasures are available to your children for evermore.
May I keep my thoughts centered on you and on these, your precious gifts.