Getting ready to leave the house in the morning is such a chore, isn’t it? The routine of washing, brushing, flossing, primping, rolling (the hair!), fluffing, spraying, etc. gets SO tiresome.
While I completed each chore the other morning, Barbara Johnson (popular speaker and author of Women-of-Faith fame) came to mind. In one of her books, So, Stick a Geranium in Your Hat and Be Happy! (Word Publishing, 1990), she describes how Fresh Start laundry detergent, Joy dishwashing liquid, and Dove soap help renew her mind as she progresses through each day. Her thoughts actually echo scripture:
Every day is a fresh start with God (Lamentations 3:22, 23).
The joy of the Lord is our strength (Nehemiah 8:10).
The Spirit (symbolized by a dove) cleanses and refreshes us, as we keep in step with him (Galatians 5:25).
Just those three statements alone are enough to spark an attitude change.
I wondered, what might my a.m. toiletry products offer for inspiration?
As I got ready that morning, I took a closer look at those products. Here’s what I found and the ponderings that followed:
- Butterflies dance across the Kleenex box, signifying the beautiful, new life we have in Jesus. Thank you, Lord, for your beautiful gifts of peace, joy, hope, and strength–all because of your presence in my life.
- “7 in 1 / Complete,” claims my moisturizer. Seven is symbolic of perfection in scripture. In fact, the apostle John mentions the seven spirits of God in the Revelation (5:6). And our God is perfectly complete—in power, wisdom, holiness, and more. When I consider that his complete perfection is lavished upon me, my heart is filled with praise!
- The Dial hand soap dispenser promises its contents offer deep cleansing. That’s enough to prompt another prayer. Father, cleanse my mind of negativity and impropriety today. Thank you for your generosity of forgiveness and fresh starts.
- The brand name of the contact solution I use is Replenish, reminding me that every day I need my spirit replenished. Stress, anxiety, and fear can deplete my strength. But praise God, his Spirit of power, love, and self-discipline (2 Timothy 1:7) can equip me to seize the day!
- The shower gel includes scents of lemon, grapefruit, freesia and “clean woods.” Each fragrance is delightful and refreshing on its own. And, of course, each one was created by God. Interesting: God not only made beautiful things for us to see, he included scents for us to enjoy. And though there must be thousands, he gave us the capacity to mix them and thereby create millions more. Thank you, Lord, for giving us the ability to create. Not that we can make something out of nothing as you can. But within the parameters you have set, we can design, combine, and build. Thank you for the precious gift of crafting that brings us much joy.
Before I knew it, the contacts were in, the face was on, the hair was (fluffed) up.
Better yet, my attitude was in check, positivity was turned on, and my heart was looking up.
* * * * * * * * * *
What products do you use whose names or claims have the potential to renew your mind? Share with us your discoveries in the Comment section!
(Photo credit: www.downeyfamilydenistryblog.com.)